Songwriting methodologies that have worked for me.
- What Drives or Inspires the Song
- Techniques and Approaches to Songwriting
- Fears about Songwriting
- To Rhyme or not to Rhyme
Practical Applications of songwriting techniques.
- Exercises to conquer writer’s block
- Identifying your audience (i.e, political songs, church groups, family gatherings, women’s songs, love songs, children songs);
- Identifying a group of songwriter’s who are doing exactly what you would like to be doing.
- Forming songwriting partnerships and groups
- Kind and constructive ways to give input on other’s songs and ways to accept input without feeling criticized.
Introduction to Slide Guitar.
Make slide guitar a powerful tool for developing your own songs as well as accompanying others. Learn techniques and tunes in this hands on class.
Demystifying the Recording Process.
Come with a song. We will record and mix as many as time allows, working with technical concepts and arrangements to best serve your song.No experience necessary .
Packaging Your Song
There are many ways you can package a song; genre/style, instrument choices, different arrangements, etc,. “Producing” a song can make a great song fall flat or make a mediocre song a mega hit! Take a traditional song and make it indie pop; take a brand new song and make it sound 100 years old. Looking at things differently is part of a long, grand tradition in Folk Music. Bring completed or partials of songs and let’s have a great time playing dress up with those awesome ideas of yours!
Improvisation In Songwriting
A refreshing look at the disciplined practice of spontaneity in word and sound play, jump starting your ideas and keeping your songwriting movin’ & groovin’. We’ll explore the concept of “word salad”, the value of scatting melodies and rhythm reading. It’s Joe’s modern take on the idea of being a “song catcher” not of other’s songs, but your OWN! Get ready to move, write, make sounds and smile.
In addition to classes and workshops, our instructors will also be available for mentor sessions throughout the weekend. These sessions are your opportunity to have some one-on-one time with our instructors and get specific advice on something you’re working on.